Monday 4 May 2015

THE BRIDGE AT WHITE RIVER JUNCTION: A POEM

I wrote this poem in 1986, in Ponte di Legno, so it's pretty obvious what inspired it. That I could associate the scene in the mountains of Italy with the place where the White River joins the Connecticut River, which forms the border between White River Junction, Vermont and Lebanon, New Hampshire (nowadays it's better known as the place where I-89 intersects with I-91), says something about how I perceive my expatriate existence...it was intended for a collection I was working on called The Crossing Place; who knows maybe it will get done after all..

THE BRIDGE AT WHITE RIVER JUNCTION

The crux of
a moment

a lifetime
suspended

between

New
Hampshire
&

infinity



1 comment :

BV Lawson said...

Thanks for posting this! I've been in White River Junction many times, thanks to family who own a summer camp in those parts. Have you written any poetry for Gerald So's 5-2 blog? Hope to see you over there soon.